A judge in New Mexico has issued a ruling on the release of records related to the investigation into the deaths of actor Gene Hackman and his wife Betsy Arakawa
Gene Hackman’s autopsy information can be released but images of his body will remain sealed from public view, a judge has ruled.
The screen legend, 95, and his wife Betsy Arakawa, 65, were found dead at their home in New Mexico on February 26 along with one of their dogs. Hackman and Arakawa’s bodies were discovered in separate rooms and the dog’s remains were found in a crate, where it had been recovering from surgery.
It is believed that classical pianist Betsy succumbed to hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, a rare respiratory disease that can be carried by rodents, around February 11. The French Connection star – who had heart disease and was battling Alzheimer’s – is thought to have died later.
The actor’s pacemaker last registered a reading on February 18, so it’s thought he passed away then. The dog died as a result of dehydration and starvation.
Have you joined Threads? Follow Daily Star to keep up to date on the latest news here.
Hackman’s estate had taken steps to have the release of records from the investigation blocked, with the right to privacy being cited. Records were temporarily sealed.
However, on Monday (March 31) a New Mexico judge ruled that some information could be released. Judge Matthew J Wilson said that certain records could be made public as long as they do not clearly show the bodies of Hackman and Arakawa, whose remains were partly mummified.
Items that can be made public include some police bodycam footage and autopsy reports. Images of the couple’s deceased pet dog could also be released.
Judge Wilson ruled that there should be “no depiction of either body in any video production” or photographic image.
During the hearing, it was pointed out that Hackman was known to value his privacy. Kurt Sommer, a lawyer for the late star, said: “Gene and Betsy Hackman’s names, likenesses and images are valuable and need to be protected and that is clearly proven out by virtue of the press wanting to get their hands on the documents to exploit them for their own personal profit and gain.”
“This estate has a duty to protect Gene and Betsy’s property, including photographs and videos of their dead bodies,” he said.
The hearing also heard from the actor’s longtime publicist Susan Madore. She told how the star would limit the amount of press time he did for films and made it clear how he valued his privacy.
“I think that for anything like that to be out in the public, any entity can use that however they want in perpetuity,” Madore said on the topic of sensitive records from the deaths being released. “He would have never agreed in his life for that to happen. So, why would you think he would agree to it in his death?”
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Source: Celebrities - dailystar.co.uk