EXCLUSIVE: Axed ITV star Phillip Schofield has little chance of landing another major presenting gig, an expert suggests, but there are a “couple of routes” he could take to return to TV
Phillip Schofield’s future in TV could be over for good.
The former presenter, 63, left ITV’s This Morning in May 2023 after more than 20 years, admitting to having had an “unwise but not illegal” affair with a younger male colleague. He said he was “deeply sorry” to his wife, friends, and employers for having lied about the affair.
Last year, he returned to TV on Channel 5’s Cast Away – which saw him stranded by himself on an island off of Madagascar for 10 days. However, many viewers complained about the comeback, where he discussed his affair and swiped at former co-star Holly Willoughby.
And, despite a huge promotional campaign by Channel 5, the survival show didn’t deliver when it came to the ratings. It brought in a peak of 1.5million viewers and lost out to ITV’s Tipping Point at 4pm, which had two million viewers.
Schofield, who turns 63 today (April 1), is not likely to land himself another gig at a major broadcaster, Celebrity PR Specialist Kayley Cornelius claims. She reckons his Cast Away stint was the “final nail in the coffin” for his presenting career, and that no major broadcasters would risk giving him “another chance in the spotlight”.
Speaking on behalf of Betfred Lotto, Kayley told Daily Star: “I would be very surprised if another major broadcaster were willing to give Phillip Schofield another chance in the spotlight. His stint on Cast Away was the final nail in the coffin for his presenting career, and the viewing figures, ratings, and reviews will undoubtedly have fallen short of Channel 5’s expectations—making it highly unlikely they’d take that risk with him again.
“Other broadcasters would have been watching from the sidelines during the launch of Cast Away, waiting to see the numbers before even considering the prospect of bringing Phil back. However, given the string of scandals the likes of the BBC faced last year involving their talent, broadcasters will be more cautious than ever about whom they choose to put in the limelight.
“With a wave of new talent emerging in recent years, Phil has been easily edged out of the industry, as the days of a limited talent pool are long gone. It would take a particularly bold company to give him centre stage once again.
“To broadcasters, Phillip Schofield is likely seen as nothing more than a potential ratings generator, and with his once-loyal audience having lost faith in him, he has little positive sentiment left to offer. If he failed to pull in the numbers when his return held peak exclusivity, he is of little value to networks when it comes to securing major presenting roles.”
However, she admits there could be a way back for Schofield if he wants to “salvage his reputation” and return to primetime telly. Kayley has suggested he could be a contestant on Channel 4’s SAS: Who Dares Wins – or another reality show where he is surrounded by co-stars who could hold him accountable for his actions.
She highlighted that many viewers took issue with the “perceived bias” of Cast Away, where Schofield was able to talk freely about the scandal without interruption or challenges from anybody else. “If his goal is to make a comeback on primetime telly, he must first repair his fragile public image, and a move into reality TV could be his last chance to salvage his reputation,” she said.
“With the main criticisms of Cast Away centering on its perceived bias and questions over its authenticity, appearing on a show where Phil isn’t the sole focus – where he is surrounded by co-stars who hold him accountable and has no editorial control – could resonate better with viewers. If executed correctly, this could be a career-saving move, and Channel 4’s SAS: Who Dares Wins could be the perfect fit, particularly given his recent island experience.”
Kayley also suggested he could try GB News or another alternative broadcaster who has given a platform to controversial figures. “While public sentiment towards him remains overwhelmingly negative, he still has a niche and loyal audience eager to see him return,” she explained.
“His next strategy could involve targeting that specific demographic—perhaps through subscription platforms like Patreon, following in the footsteps of Piers Morgan, or turning to outlets such as GB News, which prides itself on giving a platform to diverse voices.”
Want all the biggest Showbiz and TV news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Showbiz newsletter.
Source: Celebrities - dailystar.co.uk