in

Zoe Ball health update as dad addresses star’s exit from BBC Radio 2 breakfast show

TV personality Johnny Ball has said that his daughter Zoe recently told him that she is doing well, months after she stepped down from her radio job after six years

Zoe Ball’s dad has said she’s in a ‘good place’(Image: Dave Benett/Getty Images)

Zoe Ball’s dad Johnny has updated fans after she left her BBC Radio 2 breakfast show.

The star, 54, had been on her popular radio show since 2019 but stepped down in December. “After six incredible years on the Radio 2 Breakfast Show, it’s time for me to step away from the very early mornings and focus on family,” she explained to fans at the time.

Article continues below

Her announcement came months after the death of her mum, Julia. The radio star said in April that she was “bereft” after her mum died after being diagnosed with cancer. Shortly after she announced she was leaving, Zoe also shared that she had a problem with her temporomandibular joint that gave her bad headaches.

She stepped down from her Radio 2 breakfast show in December(Image: PA Archive/PA Images)

“I have TMJ and wake most days with awful headaches from tension & jaw clenching,” she said on Instagram. However, Zoe’s dad, TV personality Johnny, has now revealed that she is doing well.

Opening up to Saga magazine, he said: “Zoe’s taken to broadcasting as well as I did – in fact, she’s done better than me. She’s earned considerably more money from it.”

“Her mum died last year and she’s had various other problems, but she’s chuffed to have packed in the Radio 2 breakfast show, as she’s realised every day has 24 hours now,” he said. “Her days used to start at 4am and by the time it got to midday she was knackered. She visited me recently and said, ‘I’m in such a good place’.”

The star was emotional during her final show(Image: BBC)

As she left her breakfast show, Zoe told fans it had been “a real privilege”. “Pretty cool to be the first lass to host and I won’t be the last,” she insisted.

The star also talked about the relationship she had with those who tuned in. “I feel very lucky to have been here,” she said.

Zoe, who is mum to son Woody and daughter Nelly with her ex-husband Fatboy Slim, went on: “You’re just there, and I’m just here, having a chat with a mate. I’s such a special, intimate relationship, that is never lost on me.

“We’ve been through life’s little highs and lows. And I really do hope we’ve managed to bring some sunshine and light when you’ve most needed it, a daft distraction from the harder stuff.

“I’ve been bowled over by your messages, texts, emails, cards and letters throughout the years. Thank you for sharing your stories with me.”

Scott took over the job from Zoe(Image: PA)

After Zoe’s departure, Scott Mills took over the breakfast show. Zoe took some time out of the spotlight, and it was reported that she worked in a cafe for a bit as she enjoyed her downtime.

However, it was later confirmed that she was returning to the airwaves with a weekly show. She will return to the station in May, hosting a show from 1pm to 3pm on Saturdays.

Article continues below

“Zoe is one of the UK’s most loved presenters, so I’m thrilled to announce that she has a new home on Radio 2 on Saturday lunchtimes, plus she’ll be hosting various specials for us throughout the year,” head of Radio 2 Helen Thomas said as the news was confirmed.

The show will see the star “playing some of her favourite music and having lots of laughs reconnecting with listeners”.

For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Celebrities - dailystar.co.uk


Tagcloud:

Tom Daley learns new slang from kids on school visit – and is told ‘stick to diving’

Phylicia Rashad Knows Her Purpose