in

Gene Hackman death mystery deepens as family block release of autopsy and evidence

The family of Hollywood legend Gene Hackman have made a “highly unusual” move in trying to block the release of reports about the death investigation and autopsy

Gene Hackman’s estate have reportedly blocked the release of the autopsy report and of the death investigation(Image: Ron Galella Collection via Getty Images)

Gene Hackman’s family have reportedly tried to block the release of the autopsy and death investigation reports.

The legendary actor, 95, was found dead at his Santa Fe home in New Mexico last month, along with Betsy, 65, and their dog Zinna. Their bodies were decomposed and partially mummified, in separate rooms of their property.

Article continues below

Hackman’s estate have just scored a win as a New Mexico court has ruled that photos of the couple’s bodies will be blocked from public view. The actor’s estate had requested a restraining order on the release of such images and other materials relating to the probe into their deaths.

The First Judicial Court in Santa Fe County has granted the family a temporary restraining order, intended to protect the family’s right to privacy in grief under the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution. However, it’s now been reported the family have made what is deemed to be a “highly unusual” request.

The legendary actor was found dead on February 26 – along with his wife and their dog(Image: WireImage)

“Trying to block the autopsy report is very atypical, that is not something I have ever seen before,” an insider told the US Sun. “New Mexico doesn’t have an exemption for autopsy photos, and normally it’s not a concern, but when it comes to celebrity deaths, a lot of people will request them.

“So it’s common where family members of celebrities would use the New Mexico courts to block release of photos specifically. However, blocking the actual autopsy report, again, is highly unusual.”

Their bodies were discovered in separate rooms of the property(Image: Jonathan Buckmaster)

The restraining order obtained by Hackman’s estate has prohibited the release of any photos or videos of Hackman and his wife’s bodies and the inside of their 2,300 square foot ranch home. It’s said that Hackman’s property was in “a state of disarray” before his passing.

A source told MailOnline: “The inside of the house was shocking. They didn’t have a housekeeper or a maid, so it had beautiful things – furniture and paintings – but there was dog poop on the floor. The inside of the house was bad. Nothing had been dusted. There was nothing in the fridge.”

Hackman’s estate has secured a temporary block on the release of photos of the couple’s bodies(Image: WireImage)

Authorities said Hackman died of coronary artery disease, with advanced Alzheimer’s disease listed as a contributing factor. They believe he likely died on February 18, around seven days after Arakawa, who died from Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, a rare virus caused by exposure to infected rats.

Betsy was found lying on the bathroom floor of the mansion, next to a portable heater. Cops said she was “found decomposed with bloating on her face and mummification in her hands and feet”.

Hackman’s body was in a room near to the kitchen, displayed the same signs of decomposition as his wife. The search warrant said: “The male decedent also showed obvious signs of death, similar and consistent with the female decedent”.

Their dog Zinna was also found dead in a closet near to Betsy’s body, but the other two dogs – Nikita and Bear – were found alive roaming the property. Both dogs have now been safely rescued but it’s unclear what will happen to them next.

Police initially said that Betsy likely died on February 11, but now it’s been revealed that the pianist must’ve been alive after that, because she made multiple calls to a Santa Fe medical centre on February 12, 24 hours after she was initially believed to have died. Sadly, she didn’t receive treatment.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office have now altered their timeline of events, telling Fox News: “We can now confirm that Mrs. Hackman’s phone was utilised on the morning of February 12 to call a medical center in Santa Fe called Cloudberry Health. A total of three calls were made that morning, all to the medical center.

Article continues below

“One incoming call was made to Mrs. Hackman from the same medical center that afternoon. That appeared as a missed call on Mrs. Hackman’s cell phone.”

Want all the biggest Showbiz and TV news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Showbiz newsletter.

Source: Celebrities - dailystar.co.uk


Tagcloud:

‘Snow White’ Review: A Princess’s Progress

TV soaps’ biggest Covid blunders – Ofcom fury, hospital gaffe and ‘irresponsible’ joke