More stories

  • Screening for Imelda Marcos Documentary Is Canceled Amid Anti-Government Protests

    ‘The Kingmaker’, written and directed by U.S. filmmaker Lauren Greenfield, follows the huge influence the shoe-loving socialite had on her husband President Ferdinand Marcos’ 20-year regime.
    Aug 17, 2020
    AceShowbiz – A planned screening for a documentary about controversial former Filipino First Lady Imelda Marcos was shut down in the south of Thailand amid ongoing anti-government protests.
    “The Kingmaker”, written and directed by U.S. filmmaker Lauren Greenfield, chronicles the huge influence the shoe-loving socialite had on her husband President Ferdinand Marcos’ 20-year regime, which began in 1965 and was dogged by claims of corruption and brutality.
    The project had been screened on limited release in Bangkok and in northern parts of Thailand, but Thida Polpalitkarnpim, who had brought “The Kingmaker” to Thai audiences as the founder of the Documentary Club, was prevented from holding a weekend (August 14-16) screening by authorities.
    In a Facebook post, she explained officials had told her the title and poster, which features a regal Imelda dressed in red, standing in a gold frame, against a black and white backdrop of a poverty-stricken neighbourhood, were controversial and they were “not comfortable” with allowing the screening to go ahead.
    The news emerges as young Thai activists staged another big demonstration in Bangkok on Sunday, demanding a new election following Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha’s disputed win last year (19) in the first vote held since he took power in a military coup in 2014. They are also calling for the reform of the monarchy.

    You can share this post!

    Next article
    Adele Uncertain About Her New Album More

  • Olivia Colman Dreading Queen Elizabeth II's Reaction to Her Role on 'The Crown'

    Netflix/WENN

    The Oscar-winning actress, who takes over the role of the British monarch from Claire Foy in upcoming season 4, admits ‘there is much more pressure when you’re playing someone who is still living.’
    Aug 17, 2020
    AceShowbiz – Olivia Colman has been fretting over what Queen Elizabeth II might think of her portrayal of the monarch in “The Crown”.
    The actress, 46, who appears as The Queen in series three of the Netflix royal drama series, taking over from Claire Foy, told Britain’s Daily Mirror newspaper there is added “pressure” when your character is still alive and they are able to watch your version of them on screen.
    “There is much more pressure when you’re playing someone who is still living, and you have this fear that they’re watching it and won’t like it,” she reflected.
    “You’re thinking, ‘Oh my God, what if Queen Elizabeth II watches the series and sees me? Perhaps she will think that my interpretation is completely wrong. She’s going to change channels,’ ” the star laughed.
    Olivia also admitted that it is challenging to play someone so well known by viewers, as they have something to compare your performance to. And while she bagged an Oscar for her performance as Queen Anne in “The Favourite”, she admitted that role was much easier for her.
    “The beauty of Queen Anne is that no one can tell me she didn’t sound like that, but everyone can tell me what the Queen sounds like, and that’s slightly annoying,” Olivia told the publication.
    Season four of “The Crown” is due to hit the streaming site later this year.

    You can share this post!

    Next article
    Screening for Imelda Marcos Documentary Is Canceled Amid Anti-Government Protests

    Related Posts More

  • Idris Elba to Star in Africa Spy Romance Movie With 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' Vibes

    WENN

    The ‘Thor’ actor teams up with Simon Kinberg for the upcoming project which will be set in Africa as he is set to star in and serve as a producer for the movie.
    Aug 17, 2020
    AceShowbiz – Idris Elba is set to star in a forthcoming spy romance movie from Simon Kinberg.
    According to The Hollywood Reporter (THR), the movie will be set in Africa and have a Mr. & Mrs. Smith feel to it – Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s 2005 movie which sees a bored, upper middle class married couple surprised to learn that they are assassins belonging to competing agencies, and that they have been assigned to kill each other.
    Further details of the flick remain under wraps.
    Idris is on board to produce the movie, with Travon Free writing the screenplay, THR confirmed
    The actor is booked and busy, starring in “Western Concrete Cowboys”, which is set to premiere at the Toronto Film Festival. He will also star in “The Suicide Squad” sequel, coming out in 2021.

    You can share this post!

    Next article
    Taylor Swift Sent Pal Troye Sivan ‘Folklore’ Cardigan Before Album Release

    Related Posts More

  • Stephen Colbert to Host Political Interviews as Part of Democratic Convention

    CBS

    The host of CBS’ late-night show is set to sit down with Democratic politicians for a series of interviews as part of Democratic National Convention next week.
    Aug 17, 2020
    AceShowbiz – Stephen Colbert will be joined by a new political interviewee for every night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention (DNC) next week (ends23Aug20).
    The DNC will air nightly from 9 to 11 pm ET from Monday to Thursday, and during the shows Colbert will speak to big names in politics remotely, amid the various political speeches and musical performances.
    On Monday he’ll be joined by Susan Rice, Tuesday Elizabeth Warren will stop by, and Wednesday evening Stephen will welcome Bernie Sanders. Thursday will see 2016 Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton stop by – the evening Joe Biden is set to accept the Democratic nomination for President with Kamala Harris as his Vice Presidential pick.
    An A-list line-up of performers has been tapped for the broadcasts, including Billie Eilish, John Legend, Leon Bridges, The Chicks, Common, Jennifer Hudson, and more.
    Colbert is set to host a similar round of interviews in two weeks when the Republican National Convention rolls around.

    You can share this post!

    Next article
    Jason Mraz Defends U.S. Postal Service After Donald Trump Criticizes Mail-In Voting

    Related Posts More

  • Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts, Matthew McConaughey to Lead 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' Reading

    WENN

    The upcoming table read will also involve Sean Penn, the original star of the classic movie, and the event will be broadcast live online to raise funds for charity.
    Aug 16, 2020
    AceShowbiz – Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts, Matthew McConaughey, and Morgan Freeman are set to headline a reading of “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”.
    The all-star cast will revisit the 1982 classic for a one night only event on 20 August (20) while Henry Golding, Shia LaBeouf, and Sean Penn, who appeared in the film, will also take on roles for the event, which will include an unrehearsed table read.
    Presented by comedian Dane Cook, the virtual gathering will also feature introductions from the film’s screenwriter Cameron Crowe and director Amy Heckerling.
    “I’m always game for a giggle,” Penn said in a statement. “So, to gather remotely for a night of laughs with so many talented folks while providing CORE with much-needed resources to continue our vital work, then consider us fully on board to play!”
    The event will raise funds for both the Penn co-founded emergency relief nonprofit CORE and the REFORM Alliance.
    The “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” table read will livestream on 20 August at 9pm ET on the CORE Response Facebook account.

    You can share this post!

    Related Posts More